Dec 2, 2010

Reverb10: Day 1 and 2

So I found out about Reverb10 from some friends on Twitter. Basically you get one prompt a day for the entire month of December and then you write (or photograph) a response.I have a one day delayed start, so I have Dec. 1-2 here.

December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

My one word for 2010 is transition. It was a crazy stressful year. I had some of the worst and best times of my life. There's a list out there somewhere about the most stressful things you deal with in life--I went through a good portion of them this past year. Here are some of the highlights (or lowlights, in some cases):
  • Dad was diagnosed with cancer in Oct. 2009--we were dealing with a lot of treatments and decisions in 2010, including his surgery in May to remove the massive tumor from his colon. As far as we know he's cancer free. However, the whole experience really pushed me to grow up a little more, to deal with an issue that had never hit quite so close to home.
  • Became roommates with someone I had only met twice
  • Graduated from college in May
  • Got married the day after graduation (and Dad had his surgery while husband and I were on our honeymoon in Mexico)
  • Moved to Virginia in May (farthest I've lived from family and friends)
  • Started my first full-time job in June
  • Lived alone (for the first  time) for two months while Desmond was student teaching in Tennessee.
  • My husband's graduating in December and is up for a job--who knows where we'll end up
 My word for 2011 is Innovation. I have tons of ideas and goals and dreams that have just sat on hold while I was busy doing homework. Now that I have my evenings basically free I have a little extra time to plan and experiment with all the things floating in my head. I actually might pursue more schooling, but this time I don't think I'll feel quite the pressure I did before. 2010 definitely made me a different person, and I hope to continue to grow in 2011.

-----------------------------

December 2 Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

 I procrastinate in fear. A good idea will pop into my head, then I sit and think about why it's not a good idea, which talks me out of writing anything at all. Then I get up and do one of the other million things I need to do. It's a sad cycle. Best way to eliminate that? Don't think. Just write.

1 comment:

Author said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about not writing because you talk yourself out of thinking it's a good idea. I do that pretty much all the time. It's a bad habit but so hard to break.

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing better. It sounds like you had a challenging year, but when you can look back on it and recognize what you learned and how you grew, that's what counts:)