Jul 1, 2009

Engaged!

Monday, June 29, 2009 Desmond popped the question. The BIG question. For those of you who still don't get it, he asked me to marry him!!!

It all began with this little statement. About a week or two earlier.

Me: Babe, I know we spend a lot of time together, but we haven't been on an actual date in awhile.

Desmond: Okay, let's do something, not this Monday but next Monday--on my day off.

Me: Okay, what do you have in mind?

Desmond: I'll think of something. It'll be a surprise.

Thinking I had initiated this little date, I didn't really suspect him of planning a surprise engagement. And he knows I love surprises, so I thought he was just taking me somewhere fun.

So here's the story.

Monday is here. The day of our surprise date. I am bubbly and excited all day long. Desmond tells me that I must be off work around 5:30 so we can leave his house by 6:30 sharp. I am surprised and mildly impressed that he has the evening planned out so well.

Desmond typically spends most of the days he has off with me. But not today. He is gone "running errands" and "helping his dad." all day. But that's okay. I'm content knowing we will be able to spend the evening together. I occupy myself working on the registration packets I'm designing for Pisgah.

Around 4:00, I get a call from the other dean. She tells me she is running late and that we will have to try to find someone to sub for her. I start panicking. We call several people, but we've no luck. Finally, at nearly five a clock, someone agrees to sub for us.

I get in my car to head to Desmond's house. I call him to tell him I'm on the way. But he tells me to delay about 15 minutes because he's still "working on stuff." Now I'm curious. I stop by Mountain Java (an independent coffee shop--there are few Starbucks here because we're in Asheville, lovers of independent shops) to get a chai.

I arrive at his house exactly 15 minutes later. He comes to the door in his black suit. I finish getting ready. 6:27. I ask him if he's ready to go. He says yes, but as I turn to walk toward the door, he pulls out a blind fold and tells me I have to wear it. I smile and put it on.

He leads me to the car, helps me in, and buckles my seat belt. As we make each turn, I try to imagine down which roads we are driving. I'm not very familiar with the area, so my mind quickly loses track of where we are.

We chat and make small talk. He seems nervous. I become a little more curious--maybe even suspicious. We begin winding around sharp curves. I scream a little. I don't know if it's because his driving actually scares me or because I'm excited. He tells me I can take the blindfold off if I'm getting car sick. I don't. I like surprises too much.

We've been driving nearly 30 minutes and he becomes quiet, almost silent. The car stops. He tells me to keep the blindfold on. He walks around the car, opens my door, and helps me out. He holds my hand tightly as we walk down a path. The path is bumpy and full of rocks and roots. He instructs me on nearly every step forward.

Finally we stop. He lets go of my hand. "You can take your blindfold off now," he says. I slowly push the blind fold up off of my eyes. I gaze at him on one knee in front of me, a beautiful ring held out on in front of him, the gorgeous Blue Ridge mountain range behind him.

"Adrienne Vernon, will you marry me?"

I'm in complete shock. The man I love wants to marry me! I know he knows my answer, but I said it anyway.

"Yes!"

He puts the ring on my finger. We kiss. We hug. I'm engaged! I soak in the surreal moment. A couple along the trail is clapping.

I look to my left and see his mom, dad, and brother walk out of the woods. They videotaped and took pictures of the moment. They had also come to set up our dinner for us. Desmond had ordered manicotti from Apollo Flame. They table they set up was gorgeous. It has a vase of roses on it, candles, and our meal.

Desmond's family hugs us. They take some more pictures, and then they go. It's just me and my fiance. Fiance. I know it will take time for me to get used to saying that. I'm still in shock. I love him so much.
The trail we walked down to get to the perfect spot.


Our lovely dinner and beautiful view.


Putting the ring on my finger.


The ring.


A kiss for my fiance.


Happy.


Getting ready to eat.


Us.

4 comments:

JJanetzko said...

Awww. I'm so glad! I kept wondering when in the world you two would get engaged. Congratulations. I hope to hang out soon.

Author said...

That's so great. I knew this was coming eventually:) I could just tell.

Wonderful story.

Naomi Parsons said...

Congratulations to you both! I'm so happy for you! Desmond has always been a thoughtful and sweet young man, one that I am sure will make his fiance very happy. Great story. Thanks for sharing! Hope to meet you soon Adrienne.

Stephanie said...

This is so incredibly awesome. I couldn't be happier that you guys found each other.