Jan 6, 2009

Defining Your Life in 6 Words

Today was my first day of classes this semester. The educational possibilities look promising, but the amount of work intimidates me. In Publication Editing we discussed what some consider off the topic of actual publication editing: six-word memoirs. However, Nash (the professor) was trying to prove that a few words can be as powerful as an entire book.

He read several passages from the book, Not Quite What I was Planning, in which people summed up their lives in six words. The submissions proved to be insightful, inspiring, unnerving, humorous, depressing, each conveying the depth of a person's soul in six words. He continued to read six-word memoirs that his classes past had written. Then proceeded to ask us to write our own, then read it allowed for class. I hate being put on the spot like that, and I hate exposing my soul to the world--both are issues I'm trying to get over within reason (just one reason I blog). But I did it. I wrote one in less then 5 minutes.

So I've decided to share mine with whoever stumbles across this and reads it.

"Dancing on a thousand foot tightrope." <----- [The first one I wrote]

and

"So high up afraid to fall." <------ [I wrote this later before class ended]

I'm sure my close friends may be able to propose reasons why I'd write such phrases, but I'm not sure anyone understands the depth of those words. I'm not even sure I do. But in some way it defines my life, in some ways presently, in some ways thematically.

I encourage you to write your own six-word memoir. I'd like to hear any you're willing to share. If you want to read more or submit to a larger audience, here's a website:

http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords/

No comments: